Tuesday, March 31, 2009

This will keep everyone entertained....

And procrastinating whatever important tasks you might have ahead of you.

So below has been my life since I've been here. Pieces might be missing but I think its pretty comprehensive. If it doesn't make sense, that's because I wrote the majority of this emails during lectures. Oops.

Tomorrow will see my arrival in Manguzi. Below is an email I wrote to Mom a few days ago about what's happening in the next month. Before you read it and everything else I've just posted, know that I'm thinking about all of you. Certain things I see or hear or taste remind me of different people in different ways. I hope ya'll are enjoying yourselves. An Indian security guard told me to "love life" yesterday morning on my run. I think this is the most advice. Love life and live it to the fullest. You only have one.

So now I’ve got a plan! Two nights ago I had a bit of a freak attack because I hadn’t heard from Johriaan and I watched a documentary about a drama troupe’s HIV education attempts with rural kids and the proposal was due and I wanted to change my idea and I had no internet access at the hostel to do research and the girls I live with are grating now nerves and on and on. I went in a big circle to arrive at home-based care again. Attached in my proposal which in light of Johriaan’s suggestions, I may or may not be able to do. Though I think probably I can. By the way, have you looked at TU’s website? www.tuprojects.org They’re sweet.

He says I will be:
Assisting with the orphan care survey-home assessments on all orphans previously assisted by TU.
Referrals between TU and home-based care programs-what works, what doesn’t. My opinions for improvement.

I’m really excited to have some tasks, to have them anticipating me (some girls don’t know if the org. knows they’re coming) and to get out of Durban. High walls and traffic is grating my nerves as are the girls. Walking on the beach is a cure-all except for the walk through traffic to get there and the huge huge hill to climb back! Ha! My calves are certainly strong. Not speaking Zulu is also freaking me out-I’ve been out of Cato and with only whites for a week and my Zulu is slipping. Thank goodness I’m going to a rural area on Wednesday…then I’ll probably be swallowing my words with frustration about communication barriers.

Also-super sweet news. There’s a week between when I return from Manguzi and when we all leave for “closing ceremonies” (St. Lucia/game park/flight). This is when I will frantically write my paper and then reunite with the group to present. During this time (4/27-5/1) everyone will be back and staying in hostels to write. But me…the super fly girl that I am will be staying with Mama Busi again!! I really don’t want another Surf n Dreams bout plus Mama’s will actually be the quietest work place-she’ll be working all day so the house will be quiet for me to work. Plus, I have no desire to hang out with the majority of the girls on this trip. Don’t get me wrong, everyone is really pleasant but everyone is getting antsy to go, we’re all getting sick of high walls and traffic and the annoying owner Margarita that always yells at us for silly things. The space is going to be so nice and though times were sometimes hard with Kelelo, Mama’s house is so much better than materialistic white guys complaining about not getting enough opportunities to go clubbing.


Becs
p.s.

I saw my first Dalmatian yesterday on my run to the beach. 101, no but this one was huge and looked like he could easily rip me up. The owner was smiling though.
I looked on as three friends schooled another three friends in a pickup soccer game. I really wanted to join but the beach was equally enticing and they were really good. Funny details-all 6 were friends and male and in the mid 20s but it was black v white and the black guys were schooling the white guys. And the white guys looked like college frat brothers and were a bit chubby. Very amusing to watch this blond beach bummy-looking dude chase hopelessly after his black counterpart, looking equally beachbummy…amazing footskills had by all. And this random dude who happened to be passing by when the ball rolled his way. Did a rainbow back. Yeah, sure, I’ll just do a rainbow back to ya…perfect aim too. So jealous

1 comment:

  1. Becca,
    So I should be doing the hw I have left for tomorrow at school, but instead I've been sitting here for 40 minutes reading everything you've posted. Your writing is beautiful, and your adventures are eye-opening. Goodluck in Manguzi and I can't wait to hear more.
    All my love,
    Sasha

    ReplyDelete